Português | English
The Mission of Paulista University (UNIP)
The main mission of Paulista University (UNIP) is that of being a centre of generation and spread of knowledge, with the articulation of teaching, research and further education activities, in line with the demands of contemporary society and the world of work, while respecting diversity and cultivating solidarity, inclusion, human values and ethics, seeking to produce qualified citizens who could be able to make a contribution to the social and economic development of their region of influence.
According to Article 3 of the University Statutes and Article 2 of its By-Laws, the Paulista University (UNIP), in order to make its aims materialize, has the following purposes:
- promotion of Teaching, Research and Further Education through cultivation of knowledge, in the knowledge domains of Philosophy, Science, Languages, Technical Subjects and the Arts, and their application to serve the progress of the community and human beings in general;
- contribution towards the general and technical qualifications of the community, through the preparation of professional people and qualified specialists in the different fields of knowledge, as also for the qualification of University-level technicians;
- participation in the process of development of the community living within the catchment area and also the extended area of influence;
- contribution to the strengthening of solidarity between people;
- collaboration with the efforts towards the development of the Country, establishing articulation with the Government institutions and also with private enterprise, for the study of problems at regional and national level;
- participation in the process to solve community problems, through the promotion of cultural initiatives and also the provision of technical assistance services.
According to Article 3 of the University By-Laws, in order to reach the aims as here proposed, the Paulista University (UNIP) follows the principles of respect for personal dignity and fundamental rights, rejecting any form of discrimination.
- Over 215 thousand students enrolled in 2011.
- 27 campuses covering 65 study units, with some campuses including more than one unit.
- Uses modern premises with a total built area of 741 thousand square metres.
- 339 Laboratories in the health area.
- 90 clinics in Psychology, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Dentistry and Veterinary Surgery.
- 171 Laboratories in the Humanities (Photography, Radio and Television, Hotel and Catering).
- 34 Offices for Judicial Assistance.
- 174 Laboratories in the area of the Exact Sciences (Engineering and Architecture).
- 252 Laboratories in Information Technology.
- Over 547 thousand individual services provided to the community in 2011.
- UNIP also manages a network of 9,249 computers with 254 fixed connection points.
- UNIP’s satellite network uses the Pansat 9 satellite and has 112 aerials installed and another 80 already hired, which allows the live transmission of lessons and teleconferences using the TV over IP technology, while at the same time creating a data Intranet, video on demand, and also an internal system for connection using voice over IP (VOIP) technology.
- UNIP has a large aerial for data transmission, as also for broadcasting sound and pictures, situated in a central location of the capital city of São Paulo, thus allowing communication via radio waves between all the campuses situated in Greater São Paulo.
- In November, our Internet system shall reach the level of three million users per month. At the time of the selection process, we serve an average of two hundred candidates per day through scheduled tests and also, every term, all our students take tests in all subjects in which they have enrolled, thanks to a database of more than one hundred and ninety thousand exercises and questions managed on the Internet. This collection is updated regularly and part thereof is made available to the students as online exercises.
- For the constant updating of this technological park, UNIP has established academic agreements and corporate licences with the most important software companies in the world. Many of these agreements are extensive to students and the teaching staff. Below we present a list of these agreements:
- Adobe Macromedia
- Adobe Academic CLP
- Macromedia License Agreement Education BlackBoard
- Corel License for Learning (CLL)
- IBM Academic Initiative
- Microsoft MSDN Academic
- Microsoft IT Academy
- Microsoft SELECT
- Oracle Initiative
- SAI - Sun Academic Initiative
- Check-In NetHotel
- E-Contab Sistemas Contábil
- PERGAMUM – Sistema de Gerenciamento de Centro de Informações
- IWSPA – IWS Parceria Acadêmica
- ProgeSoft – progeCAD IntelliCAD
- ARTECH – GeneXus
In relation to additional activities, the following programmes and events are worthy of mention:
- In 2005, in the health area, we served over 300 thousand people from the community, in clinics and other activities in the areas of Dentistry, Psychology, Physiotherapy, Nursing and Veterinary Science;
- The Judicial Assistance Office have served 19 thousand people during the year of 2005;
- In 2005, 9 thousand people from the community finished presential preparation courses;
- UNIP also offers further courses through TV UNIP, in the Health Station (Estação Saúde) programme presented by Dr Drauzio Varella, and also the Free Opinion (Opinião Livre) programme on the University Channel;
- As the result of the further activity work developed by Dr Drauzio Varella in the São Paulo State Penitentiary, there was the publication and release of the book “Carandiru” which sold 500,000 copies, and then, also with UNIP support, a film was produced on the same theme, a film which has been seen by 4.5 million people in cinemas alone;
- Transmission of knowledge to the public at large is also made by means of our website, which is: www.unip.br. To get an idea of its sheer size, this programme had a total of 2,913,977 hits in November alone;
- Every year, there is the “Brazilian Congress of Professional Updating” transmitted by the Multi-teaching System which makes satellite and Internet available so that the public can Interact online with each participant. The guests include famous lawyers, scientists and other prominent professional people, who participate in conferences and debates about present and future issues regarding professional life.
Among the guests, we would like to highlight the following:
Advogado - Prof. Luiz Flávio Borges D'Urso
Arquiteto Decio Tozzi
Arquiteto Gian Carlo Gasperini
Arquiteto Paulo Sophia
Arquiteto Ruy Ohtake
Deputado Federal Aldo Rebelo
Doutor Drauzio Varella
Doutor Gabriel Chalita
Doutor Renaldo Calderini
Escritor e Jornalista Zuenir Ventura
Escritora Danuza Leão
Jornalista Cristiana Lôbo
Jornalista Augusto Nunes
Jornalista Carlos Tramontina
Jornalista Gilberto Dimenstein
Jornalista Gloria Kalil
Jornalista William Waack
Ministro Carlos Velloso
Ministro Edson Vidigal
Ministro Gilmar Mendes
Ministro Nelson Jobim
Prof. Antonio Delfim Netto
Prof. Dr. Renato Janine Ribeiro
Prof. Paulo Mendes da Rocha
Profa. Dra. Erika Landau
Psicanalista - Contardo Calligaris
- UNIP offers administrative and pedagogical assistance to 60 higher learning institutions, scattered in nearly all Brazilian States.
- In relation to research, we would like to mention:
- UNIP currently has 49 research groups registered at CNPq, covering the areas of Exact Sciences, Health Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences and Judicial Sciences;
- Between 2005 and 2011, UNIP presented 51,981 scientific products;
- UNIP gives its support to programmes to encourage research among students and teaching staff, participation in national and international scientific meetings, and also encouragement of publication;
- UNIP research receives support from nurturing agencies such as FAPESP, CAPES and CNPq, and are developed by joint collaboration with scientists from Latin America, the United States, Europe and Japan. Among these, we would like to highlight the research studies on medicinal plants in the Amazon region, led by Dr Drauzio Varella and his collaborators, the research on Gifted People, led by Dr Christina Cupertino, who represents Brazil on international associations about the issue, as also research in the area of Production Engineering which have generated patents and equipment for use by the handicapped;
- There are currently 494 research studies being developed at UNIP.
- In addition to its five academic master’s degree programmes, with 8 concentration areas and 13 research lines, the Paulista University (UNIP) has also Doctorate Programme in Production Engineering, the Doctorate Programme in Immunopathology and also the Doctorate Programme in Communications recognised by CAPES.
- In 2005 alone, a total of 17,193 students completed all the subjects of the general qualification programmes and also those of specific grounding and, when applicable, the corresponding professional internships, thus becoming qualified and able to enter the labour market.